Sunday 17 February 2013

Big week ahead!

In the lead up to my adoption leave I could think of nothing better than being home all day, all week, and being the best father I could to Little One.  For the last six weeks Daddy has been off work too, making caring for our new arrival an easier and enjoyable task  The fact that she's been a pre-school three mornings a week has also added to the illusion but tomorrow is Daddy's first day back at work and it is also half term so school is closed!! Eeeek!! That means that I'm left holding the baby!! My dream come true? I thought so, so why do I feel nervous to my core?  How the heck am I supposed to keep an active 3 year old constantly occupied?  Whilst being a very confident little girl Little One does like to have you around all the time and constantly wants to be engaged with you (unless of course she is watching Mr Tumble or the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse!).

When I realised it was half term week I called everyone I could that I thought would be free and very quickly filled up my diary with lunches and play dates.  My social calendar has never been so active but hopefully Little One will enjoy all the activities and meets, I know I'll find it a lot easier.

I know it will be fine, I know we'll both have lots of fun.  Maybe it's just the fact that Little One is such an active little soul and (quite frankly) I'm still finding it hard to keep up with her that I enter the half term week with trepidation.  But this will be the first half term of many and I'm pretty sure I won't be feeling this way next half term.  Will I?

2 comments:

  1. hi

    i found your blog on the new family social website.

    I am a second year MA student who is doing a dissertation on the adoption process for gay male adopters and was wondering if you would like to contribute to my research by giving an interview. i have set up an email for the research gayadoptionresearch2013@hotmail.co.uk - if you are interested in giving your time to help me please contact me on the email above and i will send you full information. if you are not interested, then don't worry about it, and I am sorry to bother you.

    I hope that you can help me, and i hope to hear from you soon

    kind regards, mark thomas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just spent the last hour reading your blog posts from start to finish and what an amazing story! You have expressed the trials and tribulations, highs and lows of the whole process so well. Please keep posting as I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to follow the journey as your family grows and develops. It's wonderful to read that you have both taken so well to being parents, that your little one seems to be coping well and in reading your posts, some of my own early concerns have been laid to rest!

    My partner and I are in the very early stages of considering adopting a child and are planning to go to our very first "information evening for the LGBT community" with Scottish Adoption on 5th March as part of the LGBT Adoption and Fostering week (we live near Edinburgh) and I'm excited and a bit nervous!

    Thank you for taking the time to document your story - I'm sure it will be invaluable for many more people like Steve and I and may be an interesting read for your daughter in the future!

    Jonathan Frost

    ReplyDelete